Author Michelle Robinson
An authentic Austrian strudel, serves four and recommended with custard or ice cream.
- 3 granny smith apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried figs, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
3. Place apples into a bowl with lemon juice, raisins, dried figs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
4. Stir gently until well-combined.
5. Place a sheet of filo onto a workbench. Spray with oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs.
6. Top with another sheet of filo pastry and continue to layer with filo and breadcrumbs until you have six layers. Spoon apple mixture along the long edge of filo, leaving a 3cm border at the short ends. Fold ends in and roll up. Lift onto prepared tray.
7. Spray with olive oil and bake for 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
8. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Slice and dust with icing sugar. If desired, serve with low-fat yoghurt, ice-cream or cream.