Chunky Cheese Scrolls
Author Audrey Gunawan
Recipe taken from “The One-Armed Cookbook” – originally titled brook’s chunky cheesy scrolls. For more information on the One-Armed Cookbook see www.onearmedcookbook.com
- 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 sachet or small tub tomato paste or pizza sauce
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten or 1/2 cup milk
- Suggested savoury fillings: Pesto, cooked bacon, ham prosciutto, English spinach, olives, zucchini, roasted capsicum, garlic, pine nuts, onion, mushroom, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, seasoning, parmesan cheese, vegemite
- Suggested sweet filling: hazelnut spread, banana
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
Line two baking trays with baking paper. Place the pastry, one sheet at a time onto a chopping board. Spread tomato paste over each sheet, leaving a small strip at the top. Spread or sprinkle the ingredients of your choice. Sprinkle cheese over the fillings. It is recommended to only spread cheese quite thinly or halfway up the pastry.
Brush small strip at the top with the egg or milk, this helps the scrolls to stick. Starting from the edge nearest you, roll up the pastry, one sheet at a time. Be careful not to roll the pastry sheet too tightly. Cut each roll into 12 equal portions. (Approx. 1.5 to 2 cm wide)
Place the scrolls, cut side up, onto the trays, allowing room for spreading. Brush the pastry scroll tops with the egg or milk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden and the cheese melted. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.