Beef Rendang (Beef in Spicy Coconut Gravy)
Author Dea Beatrice
The dish was rated number one in CNNgo.com's World's 50 Most Delicious Food. Usually serve with steamed rice, yummy!
- 1 kg beef (without fat), cut into 12-15 pieces
- 2 liters coconut milk from 2 coconut fruit
- 3 turmeric leaves, knotted
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 cm ginger, grated
- 2 lemongrass, crushed and knotted
INGREDIENTS TO GRIND :
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 10 red hot chilies, sliced (optional if you like spicy)
- 5 candlenuts, roasted
- 3 tbsp coriander, roasted
- 1 tsp cumin, roasted
- salt & pepper as you like
- Mix well all the ground ingredients together with beef, grated ginger, add turmeric leaves, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass in a bowl. Marinade for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok, place marinade beef, stir well until the meat changes the color. Pour coconut milk little by little with slowly stirring until reduce the sauce. Keep cooking while stirring once in a while until the surface glisten and the meat become tender
- Put the heat to low, continue cooking until the coconut sauce become dry. Remove from the wok, place into a bowl and ready to serve.